Monday, November 26, 2007

Rejoice in Suffering

God uses circumstances to develop our character.

2. Cor 4:17
For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Life is a series of problems. Every time you solve one, another one is waiting.

John 16:33
I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.

You are measured by the way you handle your problems.

1 Peter 4: 12-19
Beloved, do not be surprised at the fiery ordeal among you, which comes upon you for your testing, as though some strange thing were happening to you; but to the degree that you share the sufferings of Christ, keep rejoicing, so that also at the revelation of His glory you may rejoice with exultation.

Mat. 5: 1-12
Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Sometime we suffer for someone else.

Col. 1:24
Now I rejoice in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I do my share on behalf of His body, which is the church, in filling up what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions.

Problems forces us to look to God and depend on Him instead of ourselves.

2. Cor. 1: 3-11
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our afflictions so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.

We learn obedience in suffering.

Heb. 5:8
Although He was a Son, He learned obedience from the things which He suffered.

We need to be like Paul when he said "whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ. More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I haven suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, and be found in Him." Phil. 3

Learning how to rejoice in suffering will keep your heart right and bring peace.

Blessings
Doug

No comments: